Pen Turner Forum South Africa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pen Turner Forum South Africa

A place to find information and show off your pen turning skills in South Africa.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello - I am new to pen turning

Go down 
+2
Mias Bez
Andybear33
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RobBagnall

Hello - I am new to pen turning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.

The premium kits from Mr. Woodturner are very good quality and I have never had a problem. Also the service from them is excellent. Some of the economy lines show a great variation between batches, some not great others fine.

I try to support them as much as possible.

I also have imported from a few places due to the range available.

Cheers Rob

PS I don't like your avatar,(only kidding:D Very Happy ) I am for the first time in my life without a Labrador and when I see a puppy it hurts Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
James Bedford

James Bedford

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 5:13 pm

hi

'so far I have found MRwoodturner the cheapest and quality is better then that place in Randburg they so expensive
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 2:25 pm

[quote="Orffer"]Hi All

I have been introduced to the South African site recently.  I'm in Gauteng and I'm looking forward to interacting with the guys/gals in South Africa[/quote]

Welcome Orffer

Mias
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 2:23 pm

[quote="Donovan"][quote="Mias Bez"]I had a look on some of the overseas suppliers and I must agree. The range is just that much bigger and interesting.  I am not sure about the cost. Is it more expensive? [/quote]

No the kit prices is not more and if you want to buy 2-3 kits the post will kill the deal. I bring 30-40 items at a time. This will be kits and blanks.
Smittys pen works just had a special. 40 Le Roi Elegant Click - GTn/GM PREPRODUCTION   (NO REFILL) @ $3.75 = $150.00. I replace the refill in the pens in any case unless the kit comes with one of the better refills like Schmit.
Post on this deal was $19 and then customs take their bit. This kit looks like a Sierra click. Total price about R50 each

Cheers [/quote]
Thank you Donovan - I will have a look.

Mias
Back to top Go down
Andybear33

Andybear33

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:46 pm

welcome on board Orffer
Back to top Go down
Orffer

Orffer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am

Hi All

I have been introduced to the South African site recently. I'm in Gauteng and I'm looking forward to interacting with the guys/gals in South Africa
Back to top Go down
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 10:15 am

Mias Bez wrote:
I had a look on some of the overseas suppliers and I must agree. The range is just that much bigger and interesting.  I am not sure about the cost. Is it more expensive?

No the kit prices is not more and if you want to buy 2-3 kits the post will kill the deal. I bring 30-40 items at a time. This will be kits and blanks.
Smittys pen works just had a special. 40 Le Roi Elegant Click - GTn/GM PREPRODUCTION (NO REFILL) @ $3.75 = $150.00. I replace the refill in the pens in any case unless the kit comes with one of the better refills like Schmit.
Post on this deal was $19 and then customs take their bit. This kit looks like a Sierra click. Total price about R50 each

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 9:09 pm

I had a look on some of the overseas suppliers and I must agree. The range is just that much bigger and interesting. I am not sure about the cost. Is it more expensive?
Back to top Go down
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Andybear33 wrote:
Hi Mias

Yes I also get most of my kits and supplies from mrwoodturner. Product good and service great.
I do also get a few from Hardware Centre in Randburg.

Thanks

I have not bought a kit locally for a long time. I bought a few from Mrwoodturner. I see that they have re-located to Linden in JHB. I import on a very regular basis. I am not sure if is is less expensive to import but the range is just so much bigger.

Donovan
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 8:16 am

Hi Andy

This looks beautiful. How did you upload this photo?

TX

Mias
Back to top Go down
Andybear33

Andybear33

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi Mias

Yes I also get most of my kits and supplies from mrwoodturner. Product good and service great.
I do also get a few from Hardware Centre in Randburg.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi

I buy from Mr Woodturner.
I have made a few pens and it "seems" the quality is good.

There is a place in Randburg also but they do not display the prices.

Mias
Back to top Go down
Andybear33

Andybear33

PostSubject: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi, I have only just started turning pens about a month ago. So far it's been great  Very Happy . I have turned a few slimline pens and a Gatsby pen as well.
I will post some pics later.

Where is a good place to buy pen kits from?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Gatsby gun metal kit and a custom Acrylic pen blank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello - I am new to pen turning   Hello - I am new to pen turning Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello - I am new to pen turning
Page 1 of 1