Pen Turner Forum South Africa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pen Turner Forum South Africa

A place to find information and show off your pen turning skills in South Africa.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CA Finish, how not to glue it together?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
James Bedford

James Bedford

CA Finish, how not to glue it together? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CA Finish, how not to glue it together?   CA Finish, how not to glue it together? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 7:10 pm

HI ALL

this is the proper way not to glue it together.

step 1: select a wood pen blank mark a reference line and a centre line

step 2: then cut the blank in 2 then mark the centre of each blank for drilling

step 3: drill a 7mm hole completely right thru each blank

step 4 : now prepare the brass tubes by lightly scuffing them with sand paper this will help the adhesive to bond to the blank

step 5: next glue the brass tubes into the blanks using CA GLUE OR Epoxy make sure the brass tube is not left sticking out

step 6: when the glue has dried use a barrel trimmer to square the ends of each blank stop out just before u reach the brass tube , using a barrel trimmer makes sure that there will be a proper fit when the pen is put together.

then mount the pen mandrel on the lathe and assemble in this order:

bushing, then pen blank, then bushing, then the other pen blank, then the last bushing then and the gold nut .    all the bushings do is act as a sizing gauge indicating the finished diameter of the pen blanks.

NOW U READY TO TURN AND MAKE YR PEN
Back to top Go down
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: CA Finish, how not to glue it together?   CA Finish, how not to glue it together? EmptyFri May 02, 2014 9:12 pm

mitchm wrote:
I use paste wax on the bushings which allows removal of the blank off the bushing after CA finishing. Then chamfer the brass tube with a de-blurring tool.

I turn BTC and and for the finishing I turn TBC bushings out of Teflon. Not much stick to that

Donovan
Back to top Go down
mitchm

mitchm

PostSubject: Re: CA Finish, how not to glue it together?   CA Finish, how not to glue it together? EmptyFri May 02, 2014 7:35 pm

I use paste wax on the bushings which allows removal of the blank off the bushing after CA finishing. Then chamfer the brass tube with a de-blurring tool.
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

PostSubject: Re: CA Finish, how not to glue it together?   CA Finish, how not to glue it together? EmptyFri May 02, 2014 3:31 pm

[quote="Orffer"]Hi Everyone

I'm trying out techniques and I have recently done a CA finish on wood.

Came out brilliantly!  But here's the question...

How do you apply the CA glue without glueing the blank and barrel to the bushings?

Do you guys use a cone system or any method?  I know using a parting tool will separate the two, but that will destroy the bushings over time...[/quote]

Hi

I used the CA glue finish on a Majestic fountain pen, Patrys wood (Not sure what it is called) and I must agree, it look stunning and I got an order of another 3 pens from the same buyer.

At this sage, I use a small needle file to remove the access material. So, I would also like to know about a better method.

I am not sure if this problem will be reduced if the coating is applier with the blank piece between centers and not between the bushings.

Mias
Back to top Go down
Orffer

Orffer

PostSubject: CA Finish, how not to glue it together?   CA Finish, how not to glue it together? EmptyFri May 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm trying out techniques and I have recently done a CA finish on wood.

Came out brilliantly! But here's the question...

How do you apply the CA glue without glueing the blank and barrel to the bushings?

Do you guys use a cone system or any method? I know using a parting tool will separate the two, but that will destroy the bushings over time...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CA Finish, how not to glue it together?   CA Finish, how not to glue it together? Empty

Back to top Go down

CA Finish, how not to glue it together?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pen Turner Forum South Africa :: Beginner Pen Turning :: Beginner-
Jump to: