Pen Turner Forum South Africa

A place to find information and show off your pen turning skills in South Africa.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Teachers pen in Sneezewood

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HenkV

Teachers pen in Sneezewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 11:07 am

I've made a number of these - it helps if the wife is a teacher. Made one as a novelty item, and soon a number of her friends also wanted pens. I make the center part of something with a nice grain, and the ends from African Blackwood and Red Ivory.

The refills are available from Mr Woodturner - they stock both black and red ink.

Henk
Back to top Go down
AB wood

AB wood

PostSubject: Teachers pen   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm

RobBagnall wrote:
Teachers pen in Sneezewood with Corian endpieces

Just bought these as something different for the markets, not sure if they will sell or not but it looks nice[url=Teachers pen in Sneezewood Untitl16]

Hi Rob,

I made a couple of these pens, my experience with them is not that bad, from the 5 I made O have only 1 left, which will be a gift to my nephew who started his career earlier this year. I have about 5 each red and black refills if any one is in need one can make a plan. The only worry to me is there are rumours of another PO strike.
Back to top Go down
http://abelbadenhorst.co.za
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 10:20 pm

I don't make slimline pens. The Little Havana that I posted cost about R 400 just for the kit and shipping, throw in a $10 blank and you can see that it is not cheap. Lucky I don't make pens for a living lol.
But I do sell a fair amount of pens.

Donovan
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

PostSubject: Re: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 6:05 pm

I sell mainly to get rid of what I make Very Happy 

I sell at our local market and I enjoy the market atmosphere and have made some good friends there.
The number that I sell will never be a business and I try to keep it as a hobby that pays for itself and a little bit of extra now and again.

My prices are close to what you mentioned.

Cheers

Rob
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

PostSubject: Re: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi Rob / Donovan / Andy

Just a question? Do you sell your pens for a profit to make a living or for financial gain?

I am selling my slimlines for R100 - R120 a pen - I add about R15 to R20 on the kit and blank. I did look on some of the American web sites for "prices" but they seem to be "expensive".

ie: For a Gatsby pen their price is $75 but I ask R200.

Any suggestions or feelings on this?

To date, I sold less pens that I gave away.

Mias
PS: I do not need additional money to supplement my pension.
PS2: We are busy packing for or holiday. We are leaving on Wednesday and will be back on 14 October. Talk to you later again.
Back to top Go down
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 12:35 pm

RobBagnall wrote:
The pen takes the mini pen refills, which is a bit of a problem as they are not easily available from shops. I supply one each extra with the pen.

Cheers

Rob
I have a Montblanc that works with those and I get them from the jewelers, but the price is steep

Cheers
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

PostSubject: Re: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 9:02 pm

The pen takes the mini pen refills, which is a bit of a problem as they are not easily available from shops. I supply one each extra with the pen.

Cheers

Rob
Back to top Go down
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi Rob what refills does this kit use?

Donovan
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

PostSubject: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Teachers pen in Sneezewood with Corian endpieces

Just bought these as something different for the markets, not sure if they will sell or not but it looks nice[url=Teachers pen in Sneezewood Untitl16]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teachers pen in Sneezewood   Teachers pen in Sneezewood Empty

Back to top Go down

Teachers pen in Sneezewood
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pen Turner Forum South Africa :: Pen Turning :: Just Turned - Showreel-
Jump to: