Pen Turner Forum South Africa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pen Turner Forum South Africa

A place to find information and show off your pen turning skills in South Africa.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Andybear33

Andybear33

Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Some very nice work I do like the toadstools
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 3:27 pm

The Imbuia was a special request from a friend that has his whole office in imbuia, he's nuts about it. Luckily I had a piece the right size that I could use.
Getting a lot of interest in the pen/stand combination.

Rob
Back to top Go down
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 2:46 pm

RobBagnall wrote:
More Churchills on stands

Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands <a href=Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands Wc1_1810" />

From L-R  African Rosewood, Imbuia, 2x Wild Olive

Nice I like the African rose wood and the wild olive a lot
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 am

More Churchills on stands

Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands <a href=Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands Wc1_1810" />

From L-R  African Rosewood, Imbuia, 2x Wild Olive
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Mcgyver wrote:
Hi Donovan, to bend perspex is not that difficult. Just heat in an oven, just be careful not to over heat as it will bubble. Once its hot it becomes very pliable, shape over a mould and allow to cool. It's been a while since I've done it but it works great.
Penn state has some kits for desk accessories, have a look here, http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=desk also if you look at Timberbits.com they have small clocks so just an idea I've been toying with but a nice piece of wood with a clock insert and a pen funnel to hold the great pens we make.

Have a few of the clocks from Timberbits. Have made a prototype stand out of scrap timber but not really happy with it. It loks a bit 'blocky' if that makes sense
Have attached pic.
The other stand is also a trial made from Corian, looks very nice but Sierra pen does not sit nicely in the groove. Has a bit of a wobble if you understand, will need to experiment a bit more with this one as well.

Cheers

Rob

Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands <a href=Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands Untitl31" />
Back to top Go down
Mcgyver

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi Donovan, to bend perspex is not that difficult. Just heat in an oven, just be careful not to over heat as it will bubble. Once its hot it becomes very pliable, shape over a mould and allow to cool. It's been a while since I've done it but it works great.
Penn state has some kits for desk accessories, have a look here, http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=desk also if you look at Timberbits.com they have small clocks so just an idea I've been toying with but a nice piece of wood with a clock insert and a pen funnel to hold the great pens we make.
Back to top Go down
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 am

I am working on a box that I will cut on my laser out of MDF or perspex, when you open the lid it will lift the pen out of the box. I must just fine a way to bend the perspex nicely.
Back to top Go down
chrisjan

chrisjan

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Rob,

Fabulous idea! You dont mind if I copy your toadstool concept - i have to commission a M3 on Jr Gent of which the requester wants something where he can put the pen on his desk - played with several ideas about flip open boxes, etc... but this triggered the brain - thanks!
Back to top Go down
Donovan

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Nice I like the idea, I always have a problem when it comes to props to photograph the pens. I am going to use it

PS. I have the same problem with multiple photos so now I make multiple posts lol
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

PostSubject: Purple Heart Pen   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 4:47 pm

Sorry but I cannot get the pic to load, no matter what I try it keeps downloading the previous pic.

I went and read Andy's tutorial again and still no luck.

I will try again a bit later

Rob

PS Andy has loaded pic. Many thanks
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

PostSubject: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Not sure what to call the pen stands so have named them "Toadstools"

Trying something different

Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands Wild_o10[/url]
Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands Image10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands   Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands Empty

Back to top Go down

Churchills in Wild Olive and Purpleheart with "toadstool" stands
Page 1 of 1