Pen Turner Forum South Africa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pen Turner Forum South Africa

A place to find information and show off your pen turning skills in South Africa.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stabilizing wood

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Agincourt

Stabilizing wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabilizing wood   Stabilizing wood EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 9:59 am

Brilliant Ivor - many thanks for this! I will give it a try. I'm also planning on building a vac chamber, I can get hold of an old vac pump so will also try the sanding sealer.
Thanks again
Jonathan
Back to top Go down
lynkx pens

Stabilizing wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabilizing wood   Stabilizing wood EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Jonathan.
Try this.Its going to cost U a can of Black Label though because its one of the stronger beers.
Cut your blank to size and drill the center hole.Drop the blank into a glass of cold beer and it will bubble
like a deep sea diver in distress.If there is a lot of oxygen in the wood it will probable float at first then slowly sink.When the bubbles almost stop zap the blank into the micro oven for approx. 20 secs.Repeat
this a number of times till the blank stop giving off the oxygen.Your blank is now in the future by at least 10 years.When ever I turn with wild olive i use this method which I developed myself out of pure frustration.I do use sanding sealer but only in a vac tank I made from an old compressor .
Hope this helps.[ the beer will be pretty flat afterwards but if U are thirsty go for it ] I,m still alive.
Regards Ivor
Lynkx Pens.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lynkxpens.com
Agincourt

Stabilizing wood Empty
PostSubject: Stabilizing wood   Stabilizing wood EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 11:23 am

Hi All,

I have some burl and spalted wood that would benefit from stabilizing, I stabilize as I turn on the really rough pieces with CA but is seems such a waste. In the US and AUS they seem to have some sort of resin or 'cactus juice'?

I have searched but cannot find a local alternative for this, any ideas?

I had though of using sanding sealer, has anyone tried this?

Thanks
Jonathan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stabilizing wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabilizing wood   Stabilizing wood Empty

Back to top Go down

Stabilizing wood
Page 1 of 1