Pen Turner Forum South Africa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pen Turner Forum South Africa

A place to find information and show off your pen turning skills in South Africa.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Corian off cuts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Andybear33

Andybear33

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:43 am

chrisjan wrote:
Good day gents,

I am also interested in some corian cut-offs and some trustone - anyone have some extras?

Just give me a call and I will help

Back to top Go down
chrisjan

chrisjan

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Need some corian and trustone   Corian off cuts EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:56 am

Good day gents,

I am also interested in some corian cut-offs and some trustone - anyone have some extras?
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 4:29 pm

[quote="Donovan"]Yes they do look nice. The color combo suit the set well. [/quote]

This looks very good.

I will see if I can get some corian off cuts.

Back to top Go down
Donovan

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes they do look nice. The color combo suit the set well.
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 4:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

A pen/Pencil set with the grey/red combo. I like it now!!

Sorry for crappy photo in a bit of a hurry

Cheers

Rob
Back to top Go down
Donovan

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 pm

RobBagnall wrote:

I stopped using CA for the tubes. 5 minute epoxy will take care of all the gaps that you might get.
I like the color. I will get some corian next week and ply

Using new tubes I have never had a problem of tubes coming loose or other problems using CA. I must admit that I apply a liberal amount to the tube which is one of the reasons that my fingers are often covered with CA. Embarassed 

The CA i am using has a reasonable set time which gives time to really twist the tube to ensure a decent spread.

The thing about pen turning(I suppose woodwork in general) is that there are many ways to end up with the same result and once you have a technique that works for you, you tend to stick to it(pun intended)

Cheers

Rob

True, There is a company that was looking for product testers on IAP for their CA. They have agreed to send me a sample pack to test. It will most properly be at home when I get there next week
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 11:37 am

I stopped using CA for the tubes. 5 minute epoxy will take care of all the gaps that you might get.

Using new tubes I have never had a problem of tubes coming loose or other problems using CA. I must admit that I apply a liberal amount to the tube which is one of the reasons that my fingers are often covered with CA. Embarassed 

The CA i am using has a reasonable set time which gives time to really twist the tube to ensure a decent spread.

The thing about pen turning(I suppose woodwork in general) is that there are many ways to end up with the same result and once you have a technique that works for you, you tend to stick to it(pun intended)

Cheers

Rob
Back to top Go down
Donovan

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am

RobBagnall wrote:
I used thick CA for the tube, but this was a tube that had been used before, I only made this blank to see how it would turn out. It is possible that the tube was not 100% round at that point or had old glue on it. I have had another look at the blank and there is no gap there, not even a piece of paper goes in, even though on the photo it does look like it. Strange!!

For glueing the pieces together I used thin CA, first sanding the pieces flat then spreading the glue as thinly as possible before clamping.

Any comments on the colour combination?

Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 9:36 pm

I used thick CA for the tube, but this was a tube that had been used before, I only made this blank to see how it would turn out. It is possible that the tube was not 100% round at that point or had old glue on it. I have had another look at the blank and there is no gap there, not even a piece of paper goes in, even though on the photo it does look like it. Strange!!

For glueing the pieces together I used thin CA, first sanding the pieces flat then spreading the glue as thinly as possible before clamping.

Any comments on the colour combination?
Back to top Go down
Donovan

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm

RobBagnall wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

This is the red/grey combination

Any suggestions ?

Although the joins seem rather visible on the photo, they are virtually invisible on the blank.

Cheers

Rob

Rob what glue are you using to stick the tube in the corian. There seem to be a bit of a gap between the tube and the blank.
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 6:57 pm

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

This is the red/grey combination

Any suggestions ?

Although the joins seem rather visible on the photo, they are virtually invisible on the blank.

Cheers

Rob
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 6:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Another pen made with the offcuts.

Although you can see the join if you look carefully I still think this is a saleable pen.

Made another with red/grey corian, but had one piece chip out while turning, will post pic later. Would like opinions about the colour combinations, I am not sure about it but my missus loves it.

Cheers

Rob
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyThu May 29, 2014 2:54 pm

[quote="RobBagnall"]A Sierra made with one of the offcuts collected last week. This one worked perfectly in glueing the two pieces together but since then I have had one where the glue line is visible after turning. I think the trick is to sand the surfaces carefully so that they are absolutely flat, then apply thin layer of CA and clamp as tightly as possible. I have a few drying now and will see how they are next week. Also I think that the plain coloured Corian needs more care than those with a pattern.

BUT I am a complete beginner so will learn as I go along

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/18879843/2][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hi Rob
This looks very good. I am just jealous. I think I must make some effort to visit Andy.
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyThu May 29, 2014 12:58 pm

A Sierra made with one of the offcuts collected last week. This one worked perfectly in glueing the two pieces together but since then I have had one where the glue line is visible after turning. I think the trick is to sand the surfaces carefully so that they are absolutely flat, then apply thin layer of CA and clamp as tightly as possible. I have a few drying now and will see how they are next week. Also I think that the plain coloured Corian needs more care than those with a pattern.

BUT I am a complete beginner so will learn as I go along

[url=[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][
Back to top Go down
Andybear33

Andybear33

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyWed May 28, 2014 6:10 pm

RobBagnall wrote:
Many thanks for the offcuts, greatly appreciated. Have already started playing with them, will post pics of the pens I have done so far.

Really great meeting and chatting to you the other day. Will pop in again when in the area.

Thanks again

Rob

You are welcome at anytime.
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyWed May 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Many thanks for the offcuts, greatly appreciated. Have already started playing with them, will post pics of the pens I have done so far.

Really great meeting and chatting to you the other day. Will pop in again when in the area.

Thanks again

Rob
Back to top Go down
Andybear33

Andybear33

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptySat May 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Donovan, that will be just fine. I have lots of different colours and even some polyester off cuts. You are welcome to take us much as you like.

Back to top Go down
Donovan

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptySat May 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Andybear33 wrote:
Hi all,
I have a lot of Corian off cuts which you are welcome too. My factory is in Kyasands.  I will try and post a list of the colours so that you know what I have.
All off cuts are for free.

Hi Andy have you worked out what color cut offs you have. I will be at home in two weeks that I will come and see you if that is OK
Back to top Go down
RobBagnall

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Would love some offcuts but not sure how to get them.

Will be in Midrand area next month for 2 days maybe make a plan then.

Thanks again for the offer.

Rob
Back to top Go down
Andybear33

Andybear33

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 7:18 am

PM your address details and I will see what I can do to get it to you. I know we will be doing some work in secunda but when I don't know yet.
Back to top Go down
Andybear33

Andybear33

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 7:18 am

PM your address details and I will see what I can do to get it to you. I know we will be doing some work in secunda but when I don't know yet.
Back to top Go down
Mias Bez

Mias Bez

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Corian Off Cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Andy

I would like some to try out. What do you need from us to get it to us?

Thank you

Mias
Back to top Go down
Andybear33

Andybear33

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi all,
I have a lot of Corian off cuts which you are welcome too. My factory is in Kyasands.  I will try and post a list of the colours so that you know what I have.
All off cuts are for free.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Corian off cuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corian off cuts   Corian off cuts Empty

Back to top Go down

Corian off cuts
Page 1 of 1