Pen Turner Forum South Africa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pen Turner Forum South Africa

A place to find information and show off your pen turning skills in South Africa.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

African black wood

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lynkx pens

African black wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: African black wood   African black wood EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 4:05 pm

It,s a pleasure Henk glad to be of help
cheers .Ivor
Back to top Go down
http://www.lynkxpens.com
HenkV

African black wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: African black wood   African black wood EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 8:13 am

Treatment with thinners - why didn't I think of that? Makes perfect sense. Thanks Ivor!
Back to top Go down
lynkx pens

African black wood Empty
PostSubject: African black wood   African black wood EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 8:24 pm

I,m an exotic wood fanatic and use a lot of black wood in nearly all my pens for center bands,accent rings and laminating etc.Black wood is probably the oiliest wood you can get and doesnt like to adhere to most other timber and especially if you use coloured bottle caps for accent rings.
Dont TRY this. Just DO IT. Soak the piece or complete blank in a small tin
with laquer thinners in it .Make sure you cover the whole piece and straight away you will see how the thinners draws out the oil.the thinners will actually start turning black quite quickly.For a small section like a center band 15 minutes will be fine.Then put on the bench till the thinners
evaporates.Use any brand laquer thinners from the local hardware .
Polish to a beautiful shine and maybe for the first time you will see those exquisite amber lines come through.[ no more plastic look]
C A coating works a treat.My early pens used to crack at the joints and part after about a year . Not good if you give a guarantee .
All the best and cheers for now.
Ivor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lynkxpens.com
Sponsored content

African black wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: African black wood   African black wood Empty

Back to top Go down

African black wood
Page 1 of 1