Pen Turner Forum South Africa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pen Turner Forum South Africa

A place to find information and show off your pen turning skills in South Africa.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pen Blanks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RobBagnall

Pen Blanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Blanks   Pen Blanks EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 8:45 am

Hi James, welcome to forum.

I think all pen turners would like a free supply of blanks, if you ask around in your area I am sure you will find factories or hobbists that make furniture and larger wooden items.These normally have small offcuts that are suitable for pens, however if you want quality blanks then have to buy. In Cape Town the Rare Woods branch has an offcuts section which is where I get a lot of my wood.

If you get into Corian then Andy on the forum is very helpful with offcuts. Corian is not as easy to work with but makes stunning pens.

All the best for your future pen turning.

Cheers

Rob
Back to top Go down
James Bedford

James Bedford

Pen Blanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Blanks   Pen Blanks EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 10:22 pm

good evening all

I love pen making I've made all the men in our family a slim line pen they liked it so much I use different woods all the time with each one I make which brings me to this q I kinder have run out of wood pen blanks is any one interested in sponsoring me with some or just give me some they u don't want it would be so great.
Back to top Go down
Orffer

Orffer

Pen Blanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Blanks   Pen Blanks EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 9:20 am

New information fresh from the horse's .....

KMT is now stocking acrylic knife handles for those who are interested
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regards
Orffer
Back to top Go down
Orffer

Orffer

Pen Blanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Blanks   Pen Blanks EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 am

Furthermore....

If you are looking for acrylic knife blanks.... If you find them, tell me about them too... Smile
Back to top Go down
Orffer

Orffer

Pen Blanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Blanks   Pen Blanks EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am

Hi

Since I'm into knives too, I can help a bit. There are a couple of places that you can visit for knife blanks...

Mr Woodturner (in Linden, JHB) has got a couple of burls and wooden blanks in knife blank sizes for a good price. Give them a call or visit their shop since it's not listed on their website yet (the burls). [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then KMTS is a dedicated knife making shop in Pretoria where you can finde stabilized wood and synthetic materials but normally not burls. They have the convenience factor since it's EVERYTHING knife related, but it comes at a premium.

Herbst Knives (Pretoria) can sell burls and desert ironwood. Some items you just cannot get elsewhere, so they ask a premium. Items are stabilized

Maple Street Timbers supplies local and imported wood if you are into a plank or so. I have gotten some nice rosewood from them, but then the stabilizing needs to be applied still.

Plantation Sawmilling (Henley on Klip) is a nice place to visit, but be prepared to hunt for a piece of wood. Got two nice Red Ironwood burls from them and Karl is very helpful. Items are unstabilized

Prosono (Midrand) sells 5 types of wood (olive, blackwood, pink ivory, tambotie and something else ... i forgot) in knife blanks. You need to call Ettienne first to see if he's there. There are also some knife related items for sale too. Items are unstabilized

The list is not comprehensive, but it will give you a good start if you are starting from scratch. If you have been doing knives for a while, you might have visited them before...

Dieter Orffer
Back to top Go down
pieterfry

Pen Blanks Empty
PostSubject: Pen Blanks   Pen Blanks EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi,
I believe one of you guys do acrylic pen blanks, I am looking for knife blanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pen Blanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Blanks   Pen Blanks Empty

Back to top Go down

Pen Blanks
Page 1 of 1